Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The boat renaming ceremony worked, but you can't fix stupid

It was the dawn of a new day.   There's that dumb phrase again.


We had done all we could do.  We installed two sets of Filter Bosses, performed a boat renaming ceremony, and the weather forecast was good.  The stars were all in alignment.  Even Charlie the grouchy three legged cat was begrudgingly tolerating Gertie.


I checked the Filter Bosses for dirt and water and everything looked fine, so we fired up the engines and made the 100 foot trip to the fuel dock.  It was uneventful.  We took on 100 gallons of cheap diesel, only $3.75 a gallon.   Cripe, I remember paying 25 cents a gallon for gas, but I digress. 

Since everything was working well, we decided to leave Atlantic Highlands (New Jersey) and make a short hop to Manasquan, about 30 miles. We got underway at 9:30 on smooth glassy seas and calm winds and motored away from our home for the past seventeen days.  

Drift Away just hummed along.  Every half hour or so, I'd go down to the engine room to check the filters while Pam drove the boat. Everything was OK but I noticed a little bit of water in the starboard engine. Piece of cake. I switched to the #2 filter and the engine kept right on a runnin'. I loosened the lid on Filter #1, put a small cup under the drain, opened the spigot until I got pink diesel, and then closed the spigot. I switched back over to the #1 filter, and again everything kept right on a runnin'.

Back up to the helm where I enjoyed the pleasant day, winds out of the SE at 10 to 12 now, seas 1 to 2 feet, no problems. And then the starboard engine started to slow down. I flipped the Filter Boss switch but I was too late. The engine died. *&^%$@%^^%*!!

Back down to the engine room. I put a light on the Racor. It looked as clean as a whistle.  Clogged fuel line? I disconnected it and blew it out.  It didn't seem to be clogged.  I and hooked it back up.  Now what to do?  The filter looked clean, but I had to do something and so I decided to change it. Now, those of you who are careful readers may have realized what I had forgotten to do up in the second paragraph, under the pic of the dawn.
 
I reached for the T handle and it was already loose. I had forgotten to tighten it back down after draining the water out of the filter. I removed an engine filter bleed screw. Dry as a bone. It took about a half hour, but I got the fuel lines and engine bled and then I double checked to make sure I had tightened the filter lid.  I went up to the helm and started the engine.

You can install all the fancy dancy equipment on your boat that you want, but you can't prevent an idiot from screwing it up anyway.

The boat ran fine the rest of the way to Manasquan, and the vacuum gauges didn't budge.  As we approached the inlet, we got bounced around by a couple of morons in big sportfishermans who passed us and tossed HUGE wakes.   After docking, I put the Filter Bosses in fuel polishing mode and, sure enough, the starboard filter (the one with the pickup tube low in the tank) picked up a lot of gunk and water.  My 800 gallon fuel tank is actually two 400 gallon tanks, and even though I manually cleaned the one with the pickup tubes, I think that the water and much of the crud is coming from the other one.  Maybe today I'll see about manually cleaning them again.

It looks like we'll be here for the rest of the week unless the weather forecast changes. Right now, it looks like crap with strong winds out of the wrong direction.

8 comments:

  1. Quickly realizing you didn't tighten the lid isn't stupid, that's smart. Nice work Dave. Glad you're in the harbor, I can stop biting my nails.

    Good idea to get inside that second tank now you know the drill. Nobody will know more about dirty fuel and tanks than you before long.

    I've never been inside my 80 gallon diesel tank on Christmas, now 50 years old. There are many big old sleeping dogs in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you know all about the system and can sort it.

    We have a lot of problems bringing back barges from Europe to the UK when the sea stirs up decades of neglect. We usually run the engine off a 50gallon drum just to make sure.

    Love the blog.

    billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day tank is looking more and more like the right solution. Since I'm stuck in Manasquan for a few days, maybe I'll rip apart the bed in the aft stateroom and check out the gasoline tank a previous owner installed. I can pump from the main tank through the two old Racors to the day tank, and then feed the Filter Bosses off of that. That should eliminate the problem completely, like Billy's mention of running off of a 50 gallon drum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is your fuel consumption? You went just over 30 miles. What do you estimate? 12 gallons? I am wondering what your range is. I seem to recall you have big tanks.

    I'm surprised you didn't go farther since the weather was cooperating. I would want to be in the Upper Chesapeake right now.

    You could have ducked the bottom of the rain coming in, if you pressed on.

    The coast is an easy but long passage with one watch stander.

    All those NJ inlets have crazy currents. They scare me. I'd avoid them like the plague. If you have engine trouble in there you could get banged up on a piling.

    I go straight for Cape May, perhaps Two Mile Landing Marina, rest and fuel up and time your next leg up the Delaware, to catch a favorable current though the C&D canal

    Shark cafeteria just offshore of Cape May as the flushing brings lots of fish each way every tide swing. I saw an 15+ foot shark a few years ago.

    Lewes Delaware is one end of the ferry terminal and jammed full of moorings and no good place to anchor. Also, stay away from the ice breakers, a huge hazard at the southern edge of the Delaware Bay--check your charts. Be sure you know where you are and keep well clear of them.

    Have the current with you in the canal, which is mandatory. It might mean a night passage up the Delaware Bay.

    Lot of big ships use this channel. Traffic is heavy. It is challenging navigation. You have to hug the edge of the channel to avoid the big ships. I like the east side. You will see small craft hugging either side typically moving only one direction. Good weather is helpful and an extra watch stander on deck to spot buoys is a good idea, night vision is too pricey for me, but it would be nice to have, as some buoys are unlit.

    The leg up the Delaware and through the C&D is a long one. There are no a good places to stop until you get to a restaurant at the far end of the canal. With your draft you might find a spot to anchor near the canal entrance, but with all the traffic, I think it is better to keep moving.

    There are plenty of places to anchor on the far side. After that it is easy cruising and you want to delay and enjoy the beauty there.

    The Chesapeake is very nice this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just re-read that you have two 400 gallon tanks.

    So your max range including reserve is what? 1400 miles? That is incredible!

    Once your tanks are flushed out, you will have some nice range. It is too bad it can't handle the open ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have dogs on board, so we can't do really long passages. We're not on any schedule and since we still have some crud churning in the tanks, we are not pushing through anything that calls for winds greater than ten knots or seas greater than 3' seas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. November is windier than October.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also cold air is denser so it packs more punch. Figure cold air hits you like 10-15% higher winds.

    ReplyDelete