Saturday, June 18, 2011

Whatcha got heeeere is yer waterfront prop-i-ty

On Wednesday, I posted about the problem I had with the Thompson's Advanced Formula Water Seal "Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer".   Put simply, it didn't work.   I applied it to Drift Away's foredeck and water runs right through it (the first Thompson's product I used,  "Natural Wood Protector", worked great).   I wrote to the company using on online form on Tuesday asking for advice and answers.   Why did the second product not work at all?   Can I apply the Wood Protector over the Waterproofer?    You can tell a lot about a company by its customer service, and put bluntly, Thompson's stinks.  If I ever hear anything, I'll let you know.

On a brighter note, I took a pic of these guys the other day.


There were actually three of them, all chirping away loudly.   I figured one was a real estate salesman with a New York City accent...  "Whatcha got heeeere is yer watta-front prop-i-ty.   Ya buildcher nest right ova theeere where ya can poop on the foredeck seat...."

3 comments:

  1. It's really nice post and I loved the pic. Thanks for sharing this.
    waterseal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just noodling around here and this post caught my eye. Do you still like the Thompsons? I am contemplating refinishing my deck. I am not thrilled with the product I used previously. I think it was Bher. Or however you spell it. I did a search of your posts here, but I didn't find any more info on how the decks are holding up. Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,

      The wood protector worked for a time, but then failed. I'm guessing here, but Thompson's is basically liquid wax. It ran through the seams and sealed the deck leaks, but as the sun beat on the decks over time it eventually evaporated and the decks began leaking again. I wound up fiberglassing over the teak decks.

      Delete