Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Be Like Sammy

I don't think we realize the impact we have on other people's lives. That being said, sometimes we instantly recognize the impact others have on us.

When Pamela and I traveled south on Drift Away, we stopped at Isle of Hope Marina outside of Savannah. We very quickly met the goodwill ambassador of Isle of Hope, Sammy Moore. Sammy was one of those guys you took an instant liking to. Happy, friendly, and outgoing.

Pam and I were admiring the blue glass tied to a small tree in his front yard and Sammy came down and introduced himself, and then invited us up to the apartment over his garage for a visit. That's where Sammy lived. Next to it was the house he owned, but he didn't live in that. It was more than he needed.

Sammy was an excellent photographer and was the inspiration for me to buy my Nikon DSLR and to get serious about photography myself. Sammy hated his photo being taken. This photo I took without him knowing it with my 300mm zoom lens.


Sammy also had a great sense of humor. Isle of Hope banned golf carts on the streets. This photo was Sammy's response.

Sammy was sick. His cancer returned. Sammy loved our pit bulls and we intended to make a trip from Florida to see Isle of Hope and Sammy again, but Sammy died on New Year's Day.

Remember what I said about Sammy not wanting his picture taken? Whenever he depicted himself in a photo, he replaced his head with a happy face drawing. See the third photo. To me, this is the finest

tribute that could have been paid to Sammy.


Sammy was beloved by all that knew him. Have a positive impact on the lives of others.

Be like Sammy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, David. It was easy to see how deeply he touched your life even as you wrote about him when he was still with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,
    Thank you for your tribute to Sammy. So many people, in fact almost everyone who knew him, loved him.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete