Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gettin' Itchy

The clock is ticking down.   I'm getting itchy.  It's time to start tackling the big boat projects.   Pam's daughter Megan is moving off the boat today and heading back to upstate New York so the forward staterooms are free.   I think it's time to repair the foredeck.

As I mentioned before for my non-boating friends, most fiberglass boats have balsa or plywood sandwiched core decks, which is about the dumbest thing boat builders have ever done.  If the wood gets wet, which it always does, it rots.  The port side of our foredeck is rotten.

I think the way I'm going to fix it is to pull down the vinyl headliner in the forward stateroom, cut the fiberglass from underneath, and pull out all the rot.   Then I'll measure it, buy some plywood at Home Cheapo,  and epoxy it up.  Once dry, I'll replace the fiberglass and reinstall the headliner.   Piece of cake, fifteen minute job.  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ~snerk~

Yeah, not.  More like several days worth of work.

I also need to finish sanding the inside of the gunnels and painting them.  Maybe I'll do that this weekend too.  Every other weekend in July is filled with trips to upstate New York for graduation parties and one car show for the Gloversville Boys & Girls Club.  Time's a-wasting!

1 comment:

  1. You might want to have a ponder over this thread on Cruisers Forum DA.

    http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/dealing-with-a-soggy-cockpit-sole-the-story-of-my-repair-63266.html#post718240

    Working overhead is a b*tch apparently.

    Just thought you'd like to know what you might be getting yourself into.

    ReplyDelete