Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Why don't boats have storm windows and doors?

I guess boat manufacturers build boats to be used only in warm weather.   That's a valid assumption, I suppose, since only crazy people live on boats in the winter in Connecticut.

I've decided that cold temperatures aren't really the problem in living aboard.  Its the wind.  Our trawler has three sliding doors, two in the helm station and one in the main saloon.  They fit nicely, but the wind pushes drafts through just the same.   I put weather striping on the doors as best I could, and I covered all the boat's windows with that clear plastic stuff that shrinks when you hit it with a blow dryer.   For the most part, the diesel space heater I had installed along with strategically placed electric heaters make the boat fairly toasty, but it does get chilly when the temps are in the teens and the wind is blowing.

Like yesterday.  We awoke yesterday to five inches of new snow.  Yuck.


Yeah, those are Christmas lights in that photo.   I'll take them down.  Really.  Maybe this weekend.  And yes, I will be painting the underside of the roof, along with many other parts of the boat. 

One of our biggest challenges in living aboard in winter is navigating the dock when its covered with snow.   We had five inches of snow yesterday, and you can see the steep angle of the ramp in this photo below makes going up to the heads a bit daunting.


After climbing up the ramp for my morning shower and then sliding back down, I shoveled a path for Pam and the other crazy people living on "A" dock.  

Shortly thereafter, the dogs got up and I took them off the boat to go potty.  That's what we ask them when they're whining about something- "Do you want food?  Do you have to go potty?"  If they run to the door, its to go potty.   Anyway, even though I want to get away from winter and its snow, I had to admire the hushed beauty of it.


However, I also think palm trees and white sandy beaches are beautiful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment