Saturday, February 19, 2011

Whoooooo weeeee its windy!

This 46' trawler really rocks and rolls in a breeze.    When its gusting in the 20s, like it is right now, it REALLY rocks and rolls!

I usually spend Saturday mornings taking the two dogs to the off-leash dog park, but this morning I spent it working on the marina's wireless internet problems.  When I got back to the boat around 11, the dogs were really restless.  I think it was a combination of energy that needed to be expended and nervousness about the rocking and rolling, along with the associated creaking, groaning, and bumping noises.   So I decided to take them for a walk to Cummings Park Beach, which is across the harbor from the boat.  This was after I tied on every dock line I had on the boat.  


I've been a sailor for 40 years.   I used to tease a powerboater friend of mine with "if you can't tie good knots, tie lots of them!"   Now, on a powerboat of my own, I feel like if I can't tie on good dock lines, tie on lots of them!

With the dogs on leashes, we followed the shoreline through Cummings Park to the beach where I let them off leash to run and play.    No dogs play like these two pit bulls.   The run and run, chasing each other all around until one of them picks up a stick, and then it becomes a game of keep-away.  People in parked cars seemed to be enjoying the scene, and one young woman got out of her cozy car and walked down the beach to photograph them.   Finally, after about 45 minutes of steady play, they slowed down.    I put them back on the leash and we walked back to the boat.

Right now, its windier than ever, with possible gusts up to 60 mph forecast.   The dogs are dead to the world and could not care less.


My next concern is low tide, which is at 6:17 PM.  There's a possibility that low tide will be three to four feet lower than normal.   We draft five feet and sit in about six feet of water at low tide.   I hope the bottom is real soft mud!

1 comment:

  1. Dave,

    I hope the wind calms down for you and the dogs before they get their "second wind".

    ReplyDelete