Saturday, February 12, 2011

Monk Parakeets and Panko Chicken

Today was a good day to live aboard, even in Connecticut.   First, it looks like the non-stop snow and cold is history, at least for the coming week.  This morning, it was 25 degrees and quickly warmed to above freezing!  A good day to take the two dogs to the dog park in Norwalk.   One of the first things Pam and I saw were Robins, the first sign of spring!  Lots of them.


Right above them were a few Monk Parrots (also called Monk Parakeets) eating the stinky fruit off the tree.  I think its a Ginkgo Biloba.  The story is that the Monk Parrots were originally from Argentina.   They were considered a pest and many were killed, or captured and sold in pet stores overseas to get rid of them.  Some escaped from JFK airport and now live all over the NYC metro area, including this part of Connecticut.  They are able to withstand  our winters with little ill effect, apparently.


Once we got home, I decided I needed to do a boat project to feel like I'd accomplished something.  I decided to remove a burned out 12 volt flourescent light fixture in the master stateroom head.  It left a 4" x 14" rectangular hole that needed to be covered up.  A trip to the nearby West Marine store yielded only another flourescent fixture big enough to cover the hole.  I think I might make an LED fixture myself, or maybe buy an Alpenglow to replace it.

So, onto the next project- dinner.  Since Pam made breakfast and lunch, she decided I needed to make dinner.  I've only been cooking a short time and I'm not very good at it, but Pam is a good sport and eats it anyway and pretends its good.  This is a photo of our galley, an incredibly small space by house standards, but quite useable by boat standards.


Our new convection oven sits on the shelf to the left, above the griddle.  Its an awesome piece of galley appliance and I recommend one highly.  Potatoes are cooking on the hotplate on the right, next to my potato masher and glass of merlot.  The cabinet door under the sink is open because the refrigerator and freezer cold plate compressors live under there.  There is a fan under the sink that exhausts the hot air generated by the compressors to the outside.   I pulled the louvers off on the outside and blocked it with cardboard to keep the cold air out, and so we leave the cabinet doors open 24/7 so the heat can escape.  In the spring, I will remove the cardboard and we can keep the cabinet doors closed.

The Martha Stewart cutting board/collander sits over the double sink.  The jug of water is counterbalancing the collander, which is soon to receive potatoes.


Dinner was a success, I guess.  Pam had seconds on the Panko Chicken.  Now, on to watching a DVD about cruising in the Caribbean, particularly the island of Saba.  I need to get motivated and moving on getting this boat ready for summer cruises!

- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment