Friday, May 6, 2011

Getting Published

I enjoy writing.   It's a good creative outlet for me.   I've also dabbled in oil painting and playing guitar, but writing is much more fun.  Being a computer guy and a boating nut, I also frequent several internet boating message boards.  Several years ago, I posted about what I had learned on a sailing vacation in St. Vincent and the Grenadines on the Cruising World bulletin board.   I was contacted by the editor of that magazine who asked if he could use my post as part of an article on chartering.   I agreed, and to my surprise I received a check.  Since that time, I've written and have had published several articles in sailing magazines.  

Yesterday, I received an email from an internet friend who wanted to know if I was the same Dave Gibson who just had an article published in the May issue of Latitudes & Attitudes.  The names of my daughter and then wife matched.   Huh?  I sent them a couple of articles many years ago, but none had been published.  I'm a Lats & Atts premium member so I went online to look at the magazine and, sure enough, there it was, an article I submitted in 2004.   LOL!

If you ever get the chance to sail or motor your boat down there, or perhaps charter, I recommend it highly.   The Caribbean is a wonderful place and on my list of places to travel to on Drift Away.


This is Admiralty Bay in Bequia, a place I really like.   One day...

Anyway, getting back to getting yourself published- I'm hardly an expert, but it seems to me to write about what you know, keep the writing in an easygoing conversational style, and proofread your articles at least three times.  If you do all that, you should be able to earn anywhere from ten cents to twentyfive cents an hour, easy.

7 comments:

  1. Guitar and writing: yet two more things we have in common. If you haven't already, read Stephen King's "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft." I'm not into Stephen King's writing, although I love the movie "The Shining" (Here's Johnny....), but this is a really good book. Plus, a lot of funny parts. You'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROTFL

    If you do all that, you should be able to earn anywhere from ten cents to twentyfive cents an hour, easy.

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does the time my comment was published come up in Pacific time ?

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill- must be that blogspot.com's servers are on the west coast. Are you of the Fonda NY Kellehers?

    Bob- I enjoy the guitar, but haven't picked one up since I moved to CT. No room for my Guild or Martin, just a small Fender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, Toledo, Ohio

    Daughter and son inlaw helped me paint the bottom of my boat today. :))

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear I read the same exact article somewhere before... cruising world maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moose- no, I never submitted it to Cruising World. I may have posted portions of it on the CW message board, if you read that. Some of my writing ideas evolve from message board postings.

    ReplyDelete