Sunday, May 1, 2011

Procrastination part 2

Yesterday, I wrote about the difficulty in getting motivated to start boat projects.   Well, after the dog park I actually drove to the hardware store and bought a palm sander.  I had choices from $40 to $90.  I could see no discernable differences.  What's the big deal about a palm sander?  You clamp sandpaper on it and it vibrates.   Nothing high tech or tolerance critical here, so I bought the $40 one.

Back at the boat, I started sanding the gunwale.  This boat had been painted before with Awlgrip and it was peeling.  Also, a previous owner had varnished the cap rail without masking and had made a mess.


The 80 grit sandpaper, specially made for removing paint, was doing a good job of taking it down to the old gelcoat.  Still, it was work.  My back was getting sore from hunching over, my noggin was getting sunburned, and I was getting covered in white dust.   There has to be some way to declare the work day over and celebrate with a victory beer, but what?   Like a special dispensation on death row from the warden, the phone rang.  It was Rod and Patty, people I've known for at least a decade, meeting them on an internet message board.   Like most of my internet friends, I've only actually met them in person a couple of times, usually at boat shows.   Rod and Patty sold their Catalina 38, the one they sailed from California to Fiji, and were shopping for a bigger cruising boat.   They'd be passing by Stamford and would like to stop by for a visit.   YES!  SAVED!  Oh... and it would be good to see Rod and Patty too.


The cruising lifestyle seems to suit them well and they both looked great.   Chevy gave them a sniff and approved as well.   They had looked at a boat in Massachusetts and were on their way back to Annapolis where they had paid for ten days in a hotel.   Our visit was brief as they had to get back on the road, and Pam and I headed out to a house party where we enjoyed good food and beverages and listened to a couple of speakers.  

One was my boss who regaled us with the story of his 2000 OSTAR race (singlehanded from Plymouth England to Newport RI) where he collided with a fishing boat, breaking the bow off his boat.  He stuck the bow back on as only an inventive guy like Martin can do, and he finished the race and came in second.  The other speaker was just as fascinating, a captain of Green Peace's Rainbow Warrior and his tale of landing three inflatibles in the old Soviet Union to gather evidence of illegal whaling and then outrunning a pursuing Soviet warship.  Interesting stuff.

Back at the boat, I made the mistake of staying up for a half hour after everyone went to bed.   When I do that, this is what I have to deal with...


OK, someone is going to have to move.

2 comments:

  1. And just where did you end up sleeping ? I am still laughing.

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I kicked Chevy to the settee next to the bed (that's his bed and where he belongs). Ruby was relegated to the foot of the bed. I don't know where the cat wound up.

    ReplyDelete