Saturday, April 30, 2011

Procrastination and boat projects

Before I lived aboard a boat, there was always a rush to get projects done.   The boating season in upstate New York is short (Father's Day to Labor Day on Lake Champlain) and so things are carefully planned and must get done quickly so as to have time to enjoy the season.

Living aboard is different.  When I get home from work during the week, dinner is my top priority.  By the time that's over, there's only a couple of hours left until bed time so practically nothing gets done.  Weekends are the time for boat projects, but those days are busy too.

For example, this morning was typical- wake up, feed the cats, start the coffee, and take a shower.  Back to the boat, drink coffee, eat breakfast, check out several websites on the computer.  It is now 9:45 and the morning is half over.  It's time to take the dogs to the dog park in Norwalk to tire them out good.  Real good.


The dogs love playing with each other and other dogs, but they also love the attention they get from people.    Ruby is a good ambassador for pit bulls and quickly dispels the myths about them being mean dogs.


After the park, I guess I'll mosey over to the hardware store and see about buying a palm sander.  I really need to get after  boat projects and painting the inside of the gunnell is high on my list.  But it's kind of cloudy and windy today.  Shouldn't something like sanding be done when it's sunny and warm?  I mean, how can I enjoy a victory beer on a day like this?  I have a party to go  to tonight and if I get covered in paint dust, I'll have to take another shower (said with a whiney voice in my head).

Well, I guess I'll at least get the dogs to the park and then check out palm sanders at the hardware store.  Maybe I'll even buy one.  Then I can say I accomplished something.

No comments:

Post a Comment