Sunday, April 17, 2011

What a difference a day makes

24 little hours...

Yesterday was nasty.  Cool, rainy, and windy!   I got the dogs to the dog park in the morning before the rain hit, which was good.


Sorry that this pic is askew, but the boat was rocking a bit.   This is looking out the channel towards the seawall and Long Island Sound.  We're well protected in here, but Megan (Pam's daughter) got a little queasy last night anyway.  I guess we'll have to get her some dramamine.

Today dawned sunny and beautiful.   The boat heated up quickly, both from the sun and from cooking breakfast.  I turned off the diesel heater and turned on the air conditioning in the main cabin.   Smudge found a nice soft place to enjoy the morning.


No wonder my clothes are always covered in white stuff.  Here I thought it was from me.

Last night high tide was predicted to be 8.8 feet at 11 PM, which is a couple of feet higher than normal.   The strong winds were out of the east yesterday, which piled up Long Island Sound at the western end where we are, resulting in high tide probably at 10 feet or more.   This is what a normal high tide looks like.


The tide went up over the rock wall and onto the grassy area and parking lot.   It did no damage and we got a bonus.  A new stick!


The dogs enjoy playing tug of war with a stick more than just about anything.

I enjoy people watching from our boat.  There's a yacht club and a marina behind us, a public park to our east, and a public beach and boat launch ramp to our south.   I found this person interesting.


That's a long walk out the seawall, and it looks like it requires good balance.

And I see that J787 is back.   I took a photo of him two years ago and reported sighting him to the USGS and Environment Canada.


The Catalina Goose was back too.


And finally, I spotted our Osprey's nest.  There's a baseball field in a park beyond the yacht club, a nice one with lights for night games.  One of the light poles is outfitted with a box for Osprey's to nest in.  


I wonder how Osprey's know what it's for?

1 comment:

  1. I love the J787 comment. Time to start peddling "J787 Fan Club" tee shirts!

    ReplyDelete