Friday, April 29, 2011

Loons and Herons

Yesterday was a bird day.  I had just gotten into the shower when I heard the unmistakable call of a Loon.  I stuck my head out the shower door but it was so foggy that I couldn't see it.   I was still calling, but now farther away, and I knew I'd have no chance of catching sight of him.   This was the first Loon I've heard since sailing on Lake Champlain.

Last night, I had the dogs up playing in the park at the head of the dock when a Heron landed on a dock post right next to me, not more than fifteen feet away.  He was just staring at me, as if I was invading his territory and he wanted me gone.  Dogs too.  I kicked myself for not having my camera, as usual when I see cool stuff.   I decided to chance walking through the gate, past the Heron, and to the boat to fetch it.  I figured that the Heron would take off like birds usually do when a person comes close.   I did, and he didn't, even when I walked back up the dock right past him the second time.   This is him, a Black Capped Night Heron.




Ruby, one of the dogs, caught sight of him and decided he posed some kind of threat.   She charged down the dock and down the finger to the dock post he was on.   At that point he did fly away, about twenty feet to another dock post on another dock.

Living aboard in a city, I never thought I'd see so much wildlife and waterfowl.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I didn't know they had loons down there. I just heard my first loon here on Taconic Lake, but the locals tell me they disappear when the summer hoardes arrive. Nothing like the haunting sound of a loon!

    ReplyDelete