Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Getting Seatowed

This boat has been running perfectly.   That is, until we cast off our dock lines to begin our long awaited cruise.


Thanks to the wonders of our wireless Verizon hot spot, I can actually update our blog from the middle of Long Island Sound.

3 PM- Update.

We're sitting on a mooring now at Oyster Bay Marine.  They'll have a mechanic come over early in the morning to "assess the situation".  

What happened is that three miles from Stamford the starboard engine shut down.  Since both engines run off one Racor fuel filter, I started looking for problems on that engine.   I opened the bleed screws and pumped the lift pump but got no fuel.   So we ran on one engine for another hour, and then that one shut down.   I changed the Racor and both fuel filters on the engine but still no fuel.   My guess is that a lot of crud came off the walls of the fuel tanks because I added a couple of hundred gallons and raised the level to where it hasn't been in 20 years.    I thought I was OK with the tanks because it was stored with no fuel in them, but I guess that's not the case.

So here we sit on the mooring.   I'm going to wait a few hours before running a generator to let the sediment settle down.   I'll keep everyone updated when I find out what's happening tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the dogs seem to be concerned that there's no way to get off the boat.   I still haven't started working on the dinghy so they can't get off on that.   Pam put down piddle pads and pointed to them.    Ruby sat on one.   Hey, it's a start.

5 comments:

  1. Hey guys the whole East River will be closed on Wed, & Thurs. 9:25 to 2;45 because of UN week. Check out the coast guard notice to mariners. You can always go up the Harlem, but we think that has a 24' clearance. Good luck working out the bugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. The East River is split into three zones. The western part is zone one and two. Zone one is permanently off limits. Zone two opens and closes depending on what's going on in the UN. Zone three is to the east of Roosevelt Island and is open.

    The plan now is to get the boat running and then head for somewhere around City Island, and depart from there on Friday or Saturday to get through Hell Gate in the early AM.

    Of course, plans don't mean squat until the boat is fixed. Maybe instead of the word "plan", I should use "hope". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the fuel. This is in so many ways a perfect beginning. I ended up with a raycor with a vacuum gauge on top so as to know when to change out. Do you have on engine filters too? My perkins did and they were a bit of a pain as they required bleed where main filter did not if I was lucky and or good. As for the dogs they will try their best to get you to take them to shore. Mine went over 24 hours once before finally pissing on board.
    Good luck with all this it will get better.

    ReplyDelete