Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I never tire of critters

Sometimes I think I have an abnormal fascination with animals.  I seem to "connect" with them.  Pamela calls me Dr. Doolittle because of the quick rapport I develop with animals.   Well, most animals, anyway.   I talk to them, and while I know they don't understand what I'm saying, I think the tone in my voice conveys to them that I'm friendly.

The other day, I was outside and Canada Geese were once again frozen in the ice, as I've blogged about before.


A little later, when the ice melted, one was paddling by and I called him over to the boat.  He was more obedient than Ruby.   Of course, he most likely thought I was going to feed him, which I did not.   It's said that it's not good to feed waterfowl because it attracts them and then they poop in the water.  I wonder where they poop normally?


I've seen an Osprey hanging around lately.  The other day he was being chased off by flocks of Seagulls.   When I got home from work tonight, he was perched on the top of a mast of a Catalina 22 that showed up at the yacht club next to the marina.


He was motionless, and at first I thought he was one of those plastic owls people put around their boats to scare off birds (birds poop on boats when they don't feel like pooping in the water).  He's a big boy.   I set the digital camera on the stern rail to help stabilize it and zoomed in all the way, knowing that the low light would mean a fuzzy pic.   Out of the several I took, this one is the best.


 As soon as I turned the camera off, the Osprey spread his wings and flew off.   Rats.   THAT would have been a nice pic.   Maybe I can catch him in daylight someday and get a better photo by calling him over to the boat and asking him to pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment