Sunday, March 6, 2011

Nature Thrives in the City

Most of us know that living aboard puts one in close contact with nature.  It's one of the cool things about living aboard.   What I didn't realize was how much was around us.   I've written previously about the Canada Geese, Sea Gulls, Hooded Merganzers, Mallards, and other waterfowl.   We've seen deer here at the marina, which is surrounded by the city, and a nearby park even has turkeys.  I've also written about Monk Parrots (sometimes called Monk Parakeets).    Yesterday (Saturday), walking the dogs, I passed by a ginko biloba tree with a Monk Parrot nest.


Several squawky pairs let me know they didn't like me or the dogs.

We crunched through oyster and clams shells that littered the path.   Sea Gulls will fly high above the paths and parking lots dropping shells to shatter them below.   It would be wise to park your car under a tree when visiting the beaches here.


I let the dogs off leash on the beach.   They love to run and wrestle.   There's a sign that says that dogs aren't allowed on the beach, but I'm guessing that's only during the summer.


Pit Bulls certainly look vicious when they play, but dispite the fangs and biting each other's necks and legs, they've never so much as left a mark on each other.


I am sensitive to the fact that many people don't like dogs and some are afraid of Pit Bulls because of their reputation, so I keep them away from others when off leash.   In reality, they're both sweethearts.
 

They both like the water.   I had to call them off the sea wall with my gruff voice NOW!

Back at the boat, the wind really started to kick up.   It was even ruffling the feathers of the Canada Geese.


This morning (Sunday) brought another very nice sunrise.  I rated this one an 8 out of 10 mainly because of the low scudding clouds.


Behind the low scudding clouds are big nasty rain clouds, so I got the dogs off the boat for a good romp to tire them out.   Getting back on the boat, Pam and I saw what I think was a mink.   It swam from the far shore, behind our boat, and into the rock wall.   It disappeared before I could get the camera.  I'll have to be on the lookout for him.

So the rest of rainy Sunday living aboard will probably be some movie watching, some book reading ("Honey, let's get a boat" by Ron and Eva Stob), and some jewelry making.

Pam has a large collection of sea glass that she's accumulated over the past couple of years.   She has decided to make jewelry with some of it.  She practiced with german silver, and then bought some silver plated wire.   She bought a couple of small diamond drills for the Dremel, and putting the glass on a small piece of wood in a pan of water, successfully drilled holes in a few pieces.


The secret is to not apply pressure, and to let the drill do the work.


I think these are very nice pieces, colorful and interesting shapes.   Pam has a good eye.  The one with the ladybug is for a friend.  I wonder if she can make a manly one for me?  

1 comment:

  1. Very nice pics and posts. Monk parakeets are the bane of Con Ed, NY Cities power company shorting out transformers that they use for huge nests on a regular basis. They use them because they are warm. I hope you saw a mink, but it probably was a muskrat, in March as the old song goes, They "Ramble"

    ReplyDelete