Friday, March 4, 2011

The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

"The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" is a great tune written in the early 1900s and popularized in the early 1950s by Les Paul and Mary Ford.  I remember listening to the 45 RPM record over and over again when my mom played it on her little portable record player (remember them)?   I blame this song on my penchant for watching sunrises.   There's something about the early dawn and the quickly changing light and shadows that draws me.   I'm usually compelled to arise well before dawn so I can make coffee, shower, and enjoy some quiet time with the sunrise.

There was nothing special about this morning's sunrise, really, but I decided to photograph it from the same view over the course of an hour or so, just the same.


I also enjoy sunsets a great deal too, but sadly we have an office building blocking our view from the marina.

For all you old timers out there, here is the great Les Paul and Mary Ford playing "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" courtesy of YouTube.


And for all you Stan Freeberg buffs, here is a comic version of the same song, another I used to listen to on my mom's record player.   Living on a boat requires a sense of humor.   Sometimes, a really, really strange sense of humor.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Very nice multi-media post! Guitarists have Les Paul to thank for the invention of the solid body electric guitar. He just passed away about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les also pioneered multi-track recording. Hence Mary's voice was unique at the time. Heady stuff for those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the changing light, Dave. Back in my video days, I once taped a sunrise (coming up behind a C-5 Galaxy) We got there well before dawn and as the sun came up, we were surprised and delighted to see a wind sock, dead smack in the middle of the sun. It couldn't have been any cooler if we had planned it.

    The changing light was so cool I spent hours editing down that 20 minutes of footage to use one frame of every 30 seconds to animate the thing into something that could be useful in a show open. (no automated animation back in the day...)

    With today's cameras, I let it roll in HD and choose my frame capture rate and in minutes I have the same effect. When I'm out on the boat and take 500 still frames over a few minutes time as the sun rises or sets, it is difficult to choose just which light is "perfect."

    They all are.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete