Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Annapolis. Five Weeks Overdue. LOL!

I must be the world's biggest optimist.  We left Stamford, Connecticut in the middle of September.  The plan was to cruise up the Hudson to Castleton for our wedding in Saratoga Springs on October 1st and then beat feet to Annapolis, arriving the last couple of days of the sailboat show and in time for the powerboat show.  I made reservations at a marina for a week starting October 9th.  We got here November 15.  I won't rehash the story.  It's all in the blog.

We've set an arbitrary limit of winds no more than 15 MPH and waves no more than 3 feet for traveling in Drift Away.  Hereafter, it shall be called the 15-3 rule.  See, we really don't have a boat.   We have an apartment that moves on the water.  It would take a long time to get the boat properly prepared and everything secured for a trip in anything more than 15-3, and then equally long to get it set for living aboard once we arrived at our destination.

We almost didn't leave yesterday.  There were small craft advisories until noon.   I looked outside and this was what I saw.


Narey a ripple on Worton Creek.   I checked the sea buoy off Annapolis.  The winds were calm there also.   Throwing caution to the wind, I told Pam that we were going.  At 8 AM, we cast off.

The bay was glassy calm the entire 28 mile trip.   Not much to see or photograph, nor to report.


The Army Corps of Engineers were doing something here in the middle of the channel.  What, I do not know, but they weren't moving, just sitting there.



The Bay Bridge is in sight!


This bridge is very photographable.

We were about a mile from Annapolis and had Back Creek in sight.   I said to Pam "We finally made it to Annapolis!" to which she replied "We're not there yet!".   LOL!   I love my honey.  She's such a kidder.


Actually, the boat has been running great, and my Filter Boss/Racor fuel polishing system has been working perfectly.  The old Racors have a pickup tube about a half an inch off the bottom and pick up the heavy crud and water, and the Filter Bosses have pickup tubes about three inches off the bottom and have been as clean as a whistle.  I have to wonder why boats aren't set up like this from the factory.

We're now in Annapolis for at least the next couple of weeks.  Part of that time will be to return to upstate New York to clean out my old store of our personal items since the store has been sold.   For boat projects, we need to replace our refrigerator, install our new Electrosense tank measuring gizmos, possibly replace our depth sounder that went on the fritz yesterday, and a few other items. 

Our daily posts may be less frequent until we get underway again.  As a reminder to us that it's later than we think, the forecast is for snow mixed with rain on Thursday.

4 comments:

  1. I know I am a little behind reading your blog, but here is my guess as to what the Corp of Engineer's were doing.

    They were probable surveying the channel for proper depth. That is part of there job.

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam & Dave,

    Thank you making my morning coffee better-- Reading about you two Drifting Away does that...

    I grew up in Westport and used to run out of the Mianus River and now have the boat on the Housatonic River-- My father had his boat in Stamford and I know that harbor well...

    Have a happy holiday-- I'll be thinking of you two while I'm running my Snowblower once it does snow... I hope the winter is nothing like last year...

    PS. Can you make it Saint Barthélemy?? That's where I would make my southern most destination... Do you have plans to run the "Loop"?? Up the Mississippi & Through the Great Lakes then down the Hudson back to Stamford??

    ReplyDelete
  3. @34' - We don't have any plans or schedule, other than to wander south this winter. After that, who knows? We did join the AGLCA in anticipation of doing the loop, but we're a little high at 22 feet, so I'd have to do some mods to the bimini frame.

    We kept Drift Away in Westport two summers ago on a private dock. Loved it.

    Glad you're enjoying the blog. Click the "follow" button and invite your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up with your old boss-- Marty... Say hi to him for me "Kurt" if you still keep in touch with him-- If he doesn't remember me "13' Boston Whaler-- I lived in cabin 1 @ Longshore" Many-- Many-- Many moons ago... That should jog his memory...

    I now remember seeing Drift Away on the Saugatuck River on my way to the Black Duck by boat-- You must of gone to the Duck while you where in Westport...

    You talked about home prices in Fairfield County in your most recent blog-- 2 Manitu Ct. Just sold for 3,000,000... I'll guess it'll be torn down-- It was a really cool house back in it's day... Was that old Electric Surf Board still sitting to the right at the top of the ramp?? I remember they never threw anything away...

    What a small world...

    Enjoy-- I'll keep following your Blog...

    ReplyDelete