Friday, November 11, 2011

Get The Beaver!

We're sitting snug at Summit North Marina on the C&D Canal.  The front that went through yesterday resulted in cool temps (47 right now at 10 AM) and brisk winds (gusting to 19 MPH so far).   Since we have no place to be at any particular time, we're staying here until Saturday or Sunday.

It's very nice here at Summit North Marina if you like desolation, which Pam and I do.  We're surrounded by woods, there's a great dirt road to walk down and let the dogs run off leash, and for some reason there's a huge flock of vultures here.  Whenever I walk down the dock, it seems that they circle above me.  Do they know something I don't?

On our way back from walking the dogs yesterday, we saw many things that made me wish that I brought a camera.   A ship went by the marina looking as big as a building.  We wondered if it would make it under the railroad bridge, which it did, of course.  But what was really fascinating happened as we walked down the dock back to our boat.  The main ramp is only ten feet or so from the shore, and a beaver waltzed out of the weeds, towing a branch behind him, and when he saw us, he plopped himself down and just looked at us, nice as you please.   The dogs went ballistic.   They were straining at their leashes and barking and whining to be let loose.  Why, I don't know, since they're perfectly fine around other dogs and cats, but they really wanted at that beaver.  The beaver was nonplussed and just sat there, chewing on his branch.   Pam yelled at me to run to the boat and get the camera, which I did, but by the time I got back the beaver decided he'd had enough and was swimming away.


While I had the camera, Pam had both dogs.  She had all she could do to hang onto them.


The beaver dove under the dock and we could hear him chewing on his branch.  The dogs were frantic, sniffing and peering down through the spaces between the boards.  It took everything we had to drag them away.

So today is another lazy day.   I guess I'll google Havre de Grace and see why some of our friends say we should go there.  It's not far from the end of the C&D Canal so maybe we'll make that trip tomorrow.


3 comments:

  1. There's some great scenery on the canal. Where are you docking when you get to Annapolis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    Not sure. I'll check Skipper Bob to see who has good weekly rates and then decide. I'd like to stay at Mears if we could. I really like Eastport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desolation is good. I live on Desolation Road.

    ReplyDelete