Friday, November 25, 2011

Our AIS Is Up And Running. Kinda.

It's a long story, but the bottom line is that I needed to order a new data and power cable for our Simrad AIS transponder.  I hooked up the power cable yesterday.  I didn't hook up the data cable to the chartplotter because, well, I'm not sure how to do it.  I know it goes here in this junction box somewhere, but I think I need itty bitty connectors for the itty bitty wires, and an itty bitty crimper to do it.


The manual says the orange and blue wires are used, but that the green and yellow are not.  If they're not used, why are they there?   I sent an email to my buddy Sven who made these connections when we installed the electronics in September, but in the meantime, anyone know how to stick little wires into those little holes?

I fired up the AIS transponder and enter my MMSI number, boat name, and boat dimensions.  I went to a website that shows boats with AIS transponders.   We didn't show up at all for a couple of hours, but then there we were.   For some reason, we only show our MMSI number though, not our boat name.  Maybe it takes awhile.   Click on the link above and then navigate to Back Creek in Annapolis and look for 338124569.  That's us.

Thanksgiving was fabulous.  Because of the heavy traffic Pam and I would have to deal with to drive from Annapolis to upstate New York, we stayed put.  Although I missed Thanksgiving with family for the first time in my life, we had a fantastic dinner with friends here.   Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, I found you guys! We anchored a little further up the creek in the wide spot just off of Jabins. I suppose it's full of moorings now.

    Sometimes those terminal blocks are a spring loaded pinch connection. If so you can just strip and tin a 1/4" end of the wires and push them into place.

    ReplyDelete