Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Springtime in South Carolina

In upstate New York, it never feels like Spring until the end of April.  We're in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and it's definitely Springtime here. 

It's been unseasonably warm all along the east coast, including SC.  The mornings have been crisp though, down into the 30s, and we've gotten hard frosts.  You have to be careful on the slippery docks.


But then it warms right up, into the 60s and 70s.  The trees have started to bud.


I'm not sure if this is budding Spanish Moss, or buds.


In any event, it's green.

It was so warm that I decided to tackle the 13' Boston Whaler on the roof.  We need to get it running so that we can get the dogs to shore when we anchor out.  Like Drift Away, it's been sitting uncovered for 20 years.   I was told that it was running great back then.  


I installed a new fuel filter, battery, gas tank, and fuel lines.  I then needed to tackle the steering.  The wooden console was rotten in spots and the steering wheel wobbles.  I tried to remove the steering wheel, but  the nut that held it underneath was rusted solid.  I put a wrench on it and snapped it off.   The wooden console also collapsed.  No fixing that.


So now I'll have to hunt around for a new steering system, and I'll have to get some lumber to make a new console.  That put an end to this boat project for the day.   Time to sit in the sunshine and drown my sorrows with a defeated beer.   A defeated beer is similar to a victory beer except it's comfort food.

Pam joined me on the flybridge where we basked in the warm South Carolina sunshine and enjoyed the view of... goats in the parking lot.


The goats were loose again.   The dogs take great interest in goats.  We need to watch them, while they watch the goats.  Pit Bulls were bred to take down livestock.  I don't know if they still have that genetic trait and I don't want to find out.


Today we'll sadly be leaving Osprey Marina for Georgetown.  This is a very short trip of 30 statute miles.   It's now 9:30 AM on Tuesday morning.  It's warmed up into the 50s already.  Time to go!

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll like Georgetown. I sure did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    You should try using starboard for your replacement console material and you'll never have to worry about it rotting again. We've used it on several applications and very glad we did. I've found that the adventures in our dingy have been some of the most memorable. Good luck on your repair!

    ReplyDelete