Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Motoring down the Intracoastal Waterway is peaceful.   The engines hum along, the critters are usually asleep, and I spend most of the time watching the world pass by.   While I seldom ponder the problems of the world anymore, my brain is still thinking sometimes.   One thing it thinks of is "what were they thinking?". 

A college professor friend of mine once said that the world is run by C students.  That's a pretty profound statement, but consider it.  It's true.  Sure, the President of the US is almost always an A student as are the CEOs of major corporations, but what about architects?  From what I've seen along the ICW, there are many architects that barely made it out of architecture college and probably had buddies help with their final design projects. 

Here are a few samples...


How can we make this house even better?  Let's paint it pink!


Billy, go stand in the corner!


This house needs a bride and a groom on the roof and it would be perfect.


I don't know what to say about the one above other than I hope it's nice on the inside.

What about the people who buy these houses?   Well, about 35 years ago I was a new car and truck manager at a Dodge dealership.  One of my duties was to order cars and trucks for the new model year.   I'd spend two or three days locked in the Saratoga Springs Holiday Inn with the factory rep filling out order form after order form.   I don't know how I did it, but I ordered a top of the line two tone green truck with a red interior.  I couldn't believe my eyes when it came in.   The factory isn't even supposed to build something like that, but they did.

It was sold within hours.  The fella that bought it owned a diner in Fort Edward, a small town in the foothills of the Adirondacks.  While he was taking delivery of it, he said to me "I'll bet you're wondering why I bought that truck, aren't you?"

"Well, to be honest, yes."

"I'm thought of as the village idiot.   I'm going to park that truck right in front of my diner and let everyone see it to remove all doubt."

We had a saying in the car biz.   There's an ass for every seat.  I guess that's true for houses as well.  Probably old trawlers too.

4 comments:

  1. My dad always bought the last car on the lot from the previous model year, as this is all the money we had. Then we drove it till it died. For example: 1974 Plymouth Valiant with a completely dead 225 6 cylinder. Puke green with a WHITE vinyl top with puke green interior. Ugliest car imaginable. This was after the 1969 Fury III with a terrific 318. But it was YELLOW with puke green interior. Then there was the 1982 or so Olds Omega. Tan with a dark brown vinyl top with ugly dark brown interior. It was like this my whole life until he bought a 2000 Honda Odyssey that was the goldy brown that you see all the time. Very nice. Just took him 75 years to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys, Look out your window, we are in the anchorage. Pat & Lorrie on Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny is that? There's a white Hunter here on the dock with blue stripes and Pam wondered if it was you.

      We're staying here for a few more days waiting for mail and Whaler parts. If you're sticking around, give us a call. It's Hemingway's for lunch tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Stop by Hemingway's Bistro on Friday-- There should be a package there for your chart... USPS-- I would hope at the latest Saturday... My "Patent Pending" Navi Wingnut for more precise navigation... You may also use the old fashioned ones too...

      Delete