Monday, December 17, 2012

Becoming a CLOD

CLOD.  Cruiser Living On Dirt.  We're not there yet, not until next year.  But the planning starts now.

I've started our new blog, Bleecker Mountain Life.   Don't go there yet.  It only has one post, a copy and paste of What If You Have Two Dreams that I posted here.  Well, I suppose you could go there, just to see what it looks like, and maybe to follow it or something.

It should be interesting, to say the least.  Pam and I will be carving out a homestead from the woods of Bleecker Mountain in upstate New York on ten acres of land.  On our last trip to upstate New York, we stopped at the county sheriff's office (why does sheriff have two Fs when one would work just fine?) and got an address, went to the county highway department to have a guard rail cut so we can get to our road (which has already been done as of this writing), and arranged to have half the land logged.  It's got a bunch of trees in the way now.



Logging is a dangerous occupation.  Sadly, I just read in the local paper the other day that a 41 year old logger was killed just a few miles away from our property.

I've been thinking of cruising and living aboard, and comparing it to what we're about to undertake.  There are many similarities, I think.  Especially so because I'm pretty sure we're going to do it off the grid.

I'll be looking for advice from you guys on that one.  Who better to ask about the latest in solar and wind technology than you boaters?

We're torn on what to do with Drift Away.  It's a great boat.  Since we installed the Filter Bosses to deal with crud in the fuel tanks, we've had zero problems traveling from Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, all the way to Brunswick, Georgia.  I'd like to keep it, but leaving it sitting unused for nine months of the year doesn't make sense.  It's also not good for the boat.

I have a special attachment to Drift Away.  I know this boat inside and out.  Heck, I should.  I've replumbed it, rewired much of it, replaced all the electronics with the latest cool stuff, and removed and rebedded much of it.  I've taken good care of Drift Away, and it's taken good care of us.  Keep or sell?  The cost to keep it here in Brunswick would cost us about $7,000 a year, and we'd use it maybe three or four months.

Decisions, decisions.  Well, we have a lot of time to think that one over.  Spring in Bleecker is a long way away.  July 7th and 8th this year, I've heard, just after the black fly harvest.


1 comment:

  1. Exciting times ahead. Best of luck getting Back to the Country!

    ReplyDelete