Monday, October 24, 2011

Boat Renaming Ceremony

If you recall my previous post, I wrote about the new Filter Boss systems working great, but filling full of water.   I removed over five gallons of water from our fuel tanks before giving up for the night.  Yesterday morning, I pulled the access cover off of the tank and inserted a hose taped to a piece of copper pipe.  I connected that hose to a now unused fuel pump and stuck the other end in a jerry can.  I turned on the pump and got maybe a half a pint of water before getting only pink diesel fuel.  I couldn't believe it, since I was getting so much water in the filters the night before.  I turned on the Filter Bosses and they too got only pink.  I guess I had gotten practically all the water out the night before.

We've decided to leave today for Manasquan.  It looks like that's as far as we'll make it this week.  The forecast today is southwest winds 5 to 10 knots, which is fine.   But the rest of the week will be very blustery, with winds of at least 15 knots each day, gusting in the 20s.  I hope Manasquan is a nice town.   I've been there before but never got farther than the restaurants.

We also decided that we've had so much bad luck on our short voyage so far that we're not going to take any chances.  We held a boat renaming ceremony to appease Neptune.  We hiked into town and brought back a couple of bottles of wine.   I selected Fish Eye merlot.


I thought Neptune would consider favorably how much thought I put into my selection.   Despite the name, it tasted a lot like regular grape wine.

As Pam read the ceremony, I was instructed to dump half the bottle along side the boat from east to west, and then back from west to east.  



The dogs seemed to be enjoying all this as much as we were. 

Pam and I toasted King Neptune as Pam requested that the names Tiner Liner and Tinee Liner be expunged from his records and replaced with Drift Away.   She also ad libbed a bit and apologized for us not doing this sooner.  She then filled a glass with Fish Eye merlot and cast a bit on the water facing north,  south, east, and west.



Between the Filter Bosses and the renaming ceremony, I think we've covered the bases.   What else could possibly go wrong?

5 comments:

  1. I would check this with local sources such as Jon E. but you very well may be able to go inside to Atlantic City and even Cape May from Manasquan. Have done the bit to Atlantic City in a sailboat some years ago it was skinny but doable. Not having a mast may be a big advantage in this stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations "Drift Away" on no longer being illegit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have travelled from the inside of Manasquan through to Atlantic City. It's not our favorite thing to do because there are shallow spots and it adds more mileage because of the winding. You would have to time it on a rising tide. What is your draft?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we're going to stay on the outside. My friend, Jon E, says we'd have air draft issues since we're about 22 feet. We're in Manasquan now and the weather looks pretty nasty. We're probably here for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you drank some of that Merlot!

    ReplyDelete