Thursday, October 20, 2011

Filter Bosses- Almost Done

Yeah, I know, it seems like this project is taking forever.  But consider my day.

First, I'm sleeping in later than normal now that I don't work.  I got up at 7:30 today.  Then I have to take a shower (8 AM) and drink coffee and look at the internets (9 AM).   Walk the dogs, wash the breakfast dishes, clear the water filter screen, fill our water tanks (10 AM).   Get back on the internets and look for updates (10:30 AM).   I then get to the boat project du jour, which then involves a bike ride into town to visit the hardware/NAPA Auto Parts/True Value store(s).

I did make one mistake on the install.  I bought diesel fuel lines at the hardware store and installed them from the tanks to the filters and then found I should have used USCG A1 lines.  I bought said lines and used them from the filters to the engines.  Today, I replaced the non-USCG A1 lines from the tank to the filters with proper USCG A1 lines.   I also needed to drill and install fittings on the tank for the Filter Boss's fuel polishing return lines.   I bought everything I needed, but the hardware store didn't have a 3/8" NPT tap, nor did they have the proper side drill bit.  So I bought a 1/2" bit, drilled the hole, wobbled it a bit to taper it and make it a bit larger, and manged to get the fittings kind of self threaded in there.   I then applied a generous portion of plumber's epoxy to seal it.


As long as it holds until Annapolis, I'm good with it.

I bolted the filter for the diesel space heater to the wall, and bolted the old Racors to the wall on the opposite side of the engine room.   Those, I'll configure as a fuel polishing system.

So the two Filter Boss systems are installed with the exception of running the wires to the helm station for the alarms and switches.  No excuses anymore.  Tomorrow is the day.

4 comments:

  1. Hi David and Pam - I’ve recently found your blog. First of all - congratulation on your recent nuptials. You guys are very funny and I look forward to reading your updates here at work. Helps get me through the day! David I’m very keen on your installation of the Filter Boss. I’ve considered one of their systems on my 30+ year old Trawler M/V Autumn Dream. Unfortunately, I’m struggling with finding the space in the engine room. Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to the next successful leg of your adventure to the tropics! Hopefully by elimination of the yucky reducer your engine shutting down problems have been solved! All the best Kevin and Beth M/V Autumn Dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't retirement wonderful!! On a boat the "Chore List" never ends. The beautiful sunrises and relaxing sunsets are a fair trade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin- I googled your name and boat and found Autumn Dream- a very interesting trawler! I'll be following your blog to see what's up. Meanwhile, the wires are run and today I'll be connecting the Filter Bosses. After all this work, I hope this do-it-yourselfer did OK!

    Summer Wind- I've been buried in the engine room and bilges for the past three months. Are the sunrises and sunsets nice? Post some pics. :)

    ReplyDelete