Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bored On a Boat

It rained all day Thursday.  Today, it's forecast to rain and snow here in Manasquan Inlet, NJ plus it's blowing like stink.


Our Home Cheapo weather station in the pic above is showing a 26 MPH gust, a peak of 28 and an average of 19.    The latest forecast for the Jersey Shore is for gusts up to 60 MPH.  Thankfully, the dogs haven't asked to get off the boat yet.  It's almost high tide and a long step down to the fixed dock and they, or us, might get blown off the docks.

On Wednesday, I took a hiatus from boat projects.  Pam and I spent a lazy day watching TV (Judge Judy rocks!), played Parcheesi, and played rummy.  The dogs were bored to death too, and they can't play cards or board games to pass the time.  They just sleep.


Awwww.... Pam... Ruby died.  She was the best dog ever.   She sleeps like that sometimes, with a leg stuck up in the air.  Weird.

Traveling and living on a boat certainly makes you young again.  Just like when we were kids, we have to walk or ride our bicycles everywhere we go, and on rainy days we amuse ourselves with board games and TV.

I do have a boat project to do, though.  I hooked the fuel line for the diesel heater up to the Racor fuel polishing line which was just a half inch or so off the tank bottom.  The Racor didn't pick up any water at all when I ran it in fuel polishing mode and I thought we were good water-wise, but the diesel space heater sucked up a whole bunch of water and shut down.  Now I have to take it all apart and get the water out of there.   What a dummy I can be sometimes.   I really need to attach it to its own pick-up tube, I guess.

5 comments:

  1. It makes me wonder if there isn't something wrong with either the way the Racor is hooked up or maybe something is wrong,broken or missing inside the Racor.

    I just don't understand how the Racor doesn't pick up the water but the heater did.

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's got me puzzled too, Bill. The Racor was the filter being used to pull the boat into Atlantic Highlands so I know it was working fine, and I know the intake line is OK because the heater tees off of it. Tomorrow I'm going to look at the discharge line. Maybe it's plugged or something.

    I managed to drain the water out of the diesel heater and now that's running fine. Good thing too, since it's only 39 degrees here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Hey Bill, I figured it out.

    First, I went online and found a Racor manual. It said to put the fuel pump on the vacuum (discharge) side of the filter. If it's on the pickup tube side, the pump can emulsify water and it won't separate out. So I re-did everything I had done and re-routed the hoses. When I was reconnected the discharge hose, I found a shut off valve behind the filter. Yes, it was shut. It works much better now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave,
    Way to go, manuals are wonderful thing when we get around to reading them. LOL

    Don't you just love it when they hide valves behind stuff ?

    Glad it's working now.

    On your AC's, are the compressors still running or are they going off and on ?

    If they are cycling they may not be getting cooling water and shutting off on hi head pressure.

    Good luck

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill, they're Cruisair reverse cycle units. They run and pump water fine, but only blow cool air, not cold or warm like they should. They don't cycle on and off.

    I actually do read most manuals. They're often full of useful information. LOL!

    ReplyDelete