Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bought Boat Bikes

We're stuck here at Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina for another week or so, awaiting the Filter Bosses I ordered yesterday.   Tuesday, Pam went out to run a few errands in town and came back with this.


She walked all the way out to Mike's Bikes on route 36 and pedaled it back.  I had to return the car we rented to drive to Annapolis and pass right by Mike's Bikes so I stopped and bought the guy version.  Well, I added a basket to it, which makes it a little girlie, but the  basket is very practical.   Enterprise Rent-a-Car gave me a lift back to Mike's Bikes and I rode back to the marina.   I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years, but it's true what they say.  You never forget how to ride a bicycle.   After a slightly wobbly start, I was riding like the old days.

We took a ride down the Henry Hudson bike trail which runs from Atlantic Highlands ten miles to somewhere.   We rode to the end and back, a twenty mile trip.   The trail runs along an old railroad bed and so it's as flat as a pancake, so it was no big deal.  


Well, the only big deal is that the seat on my bike needs to be adjusted a little.  The guys reading this will know why.

I needed a boat project yesterday. I have two bilge pumps that I need to install, so I decided that now was the time to install the one in the forward bilge. I removed the old pump, installed the new, and tested it. It worked perfectly. I love it when I do a boat project and it actually goes the way it's supposed to. That rarely happens, it seems.

Yesterday was a whopper, wind wise.  Ten to fifteen, eventually building to over 20 at night, right from the east where the marina has no protection.   We had two to three foot waves hitting our stern and smacking us around.  I got up to check the lines and doubled up on the stern line and one of the spring lines.  We were bouncing pretty good, but the Panda 40 next to us was hobby-horsing like an amusement park ride.  I'll bet the folks aboard weren't too amused.


In the Gadgets-I-Can't-Live-Without deparment, I'm going to order a cool gauge that I saw at the boat show that will show the level of both the water tank and holding tank.  For my landlubber friends, it is important to know when the former is getting low and when the latter is getting full.   Each gauge is custom made for each tank so I took the measurements as directed and I'll mail the order in to Electrosense.  It will run on 12 volt, 24 volt, or a 9 volt battery.   I'm  going to take the easy way out and do the battery.  You can check out their website at www.electrosense.com.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh bikes! A great boat accessory, now you need one of those carts that attaches so you can really carry alot of stuff. Or take the critters for a ride.

    ReplyDelete