Sunday, October 16, 2011

Should We Do A Boat Renaming Ceremony?

Sailors are a superstitious lot.  Not me, though.  Maybe I should be.

Our boat's original name was Tiner Liner, named after the first owner, Mr. Tiner.  The second owner changed it to Tinee Liner.  We changed it to Drift Away, without a boat naming ceremony.  We also leave port on Fridays, something one is not supposed to do.  

If you've been following our blog, you know that we've had an awful time with clogged filters and engine shut downs, usually at the worst possible time.  The worst was when we left NYC on a Friday with a forecast for fair weather which turned out to be very wrong and we were hit with high winds and nasty seas, which shook up our fuel tanks like a snow globe and clogged up our fuel filters at the rate of one every ten minutes.  This forced us to change course for Atlantic Highlands behind Sandy Hook, NJ, where we are now as we await our new Filter Boss systems.

Yesterday, friends picked us up here at the marina and we drove to Glen Cove NY to surprise friends who just bought a beautiful Sabre and who held a boat renaming ceremony.  This is to appease Neptune who will smite any sailor who does not perform the ceremony.


I was thinking that maybe we should have a boat renaming ceremony when we arrive in Annapolis, but my buddy Chuck thinks that maybe we should have one before we try to leave Atlantic Highlands.  We don't want to be smiten by Neptune again.

On a sad, serious note, I just learned that this beautiful yawl that I photographed and put on our blog a couple of weeks ago hit a jetty off Barnegat Inlet and sunk. Thankfully, no one was injured, or worse.


Here's a link to his blog about the restoration of Ode to Joy.

6 comments:

  1. I am not superstitious, but I do enjoy certain long held maritime traditions. We held a naming ceremony for our beautiful Write Byte, that was previously known as Mischord of all things. Why anyone would name a boat after a mistake of any type is beyond me.

    I'm currently hoping to some day be able to buy a 1965 motor yacht I have had my eye on for several years. Because her name is not offensive or silly in any way, I believe we will leave the old girl keep her original name.

    But, we will still have a re-christening ceremony to celebrate her becoming ours.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the other hand, we leave on a Friday for weekend cruises, almost every time we use the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To do it properly, lots of alcohol must be consumed and some dumped over the side for King Neptune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should get Neptune wasted and after he passes out, shackle him at dry dock.
    I would just do the ceremony. It's a reason to drink and chase each other around the boat naked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the troubles we had early on with our 25' express cruiser went away after the renaming ceremony. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always told all of my southern relatives a "yawl" was a flat bottomed boat. I win!

    ReplyDelete