Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Filter Boss Is On The Wall

I finished installing new 3/8" fuel lines today.   A problem that I ran into is that the Ford Lehman 120 has a 5/16" connection.   A trip to True Value took care of that.   There's a smart young guy there who knows what he's doing, and he took it from the 5/16" engine fitting to a 5/16" coupler to a 5/16" to 3/8" reducer to a 90* 3/8" elbow to a 3/8" NPT to barb adapter. Perfect.  I biked back to the boat and screwed it all together, gobbing up the threads with thread goop and installed the engine fuel lines.  This required me hanging upside down,over the starboard engine,  and required the removal of the oil filter to get to it, but it's done.

I was going to stop at that point, but decided I really wanted to see something visible after two days of work, so I bolted the Filter Boss to the wall and connected the fuel lines.


This is for the starboard engine so I offset it slightly to starboard.  The next one will be mounted above this one and offset slightly to port.

Tomorrow is supposed to be very rainy and windy, and I'll spend it running wires from the engine room to the helm station to connect the alarm and remote switch.   Right now, though, I'm enjoying a victory beer a Judge Judy.

5 comments:

  1. Nice work Dave. You might be onto something with those constricted fuel lines. I bet this is the fix and good insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, do you have standing headroom in your engine room? Most Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, literally, it's a room. The width of the beam square with more than six foot ceiling. Nice area to work in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious, why didn't both Filter Boss's come in at the same time ?

    It might have saved a few trips to the hardware store to do install them together.

    Sure wish I had that kind of room in my Bertram's engine room.

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill K- they only had one ready to go and had to ship the second after making it. It should arrive today. All the work so far has been replacing the fuel lines to both engines. Bolting the Filter Boss to the wall and hooking up the fuel lines is a fifteen minute job. The hard part will be running wires from the Filter Bosses to the helm station. That's today's project.

    ReplyDelete