Wednesday, October 12, 2011

If The Kitten Wants To Use Your Tail As a Pillow...

We're sitting here at Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina behind Sandy Hook, New Jersey waiting for a new shipment of Racor filters and a weather window.   The marina is behind a long breakwater that protects it from the west and north, and land protects it from the south.  There is a couple of miles of fetch to the east, and the wind is whisling out of (you guessed it) the east.  There are whitecaps and a one to two foot chop slapping us around.  The rain is spitting down and it's 58 degrees.  Still, the dogs needed to be walked. 

The dock we're on doesn't float and the tidal range looks to be four or five feet.  Sometimes we step up to the dock and sometimes we climb down.  This morning, the tide is unusually high and it was a loooong step down.   The dogs had to go potty so bad that they leapt without hesitation.   Sometimes they're fearless.

Other times, like this, they're trembling cowards.


If the kitten wants to use your tail as a pillow, it is best to let her.

3 comments:

  1. Sandy Hook! You're poised on the edge Dave. When do you leap off and head down the Jersey coast?

    You must be nervous about the fuel situation. I am. Seems it has to clean up with the polishing you had done and now many filters later.

    What's your plan if it's still a problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your inside steering station is going to be a favorite thing about your boat before long. Having gone south about this time of year I wish I'd had one. Weather windows are going to be a fact of life I am afraid at least to Beaufort - If you get a good one you might consider doing as much of the run to Norfolk as you can in one or two hops. (of course you want your fuel issues to be behind you doing this) Thanks for your posts btw, this is the time of year when swallowing the anchor has some residual side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bit the bullet and order two Filter Bosses today. They're very expensive, but will give us the confidence we need that the engines will stay running. I may go through cases of filters though.

    They should ship Friday, arrive here by Tuesday. I'll do the install myself. We'll be here until next Wednesday, at least.

    I think I might set up the old Racors with a return back to the tank, and use those as a fuel polishing system. The Filter Bosses have built in fuel pumps, so I'll have the two now on the Racors that I can use.

    @Todd- I already like the inside helm station a lot. I was a sailor for forty years and sat outside in brutal heat, freezing cold, and rain. Being warm and dry is good.

    ReplyDelete