Friday, October 28, 2011

marinas and their amenities- or lack there of

As we find ourselves actually moving, ok, occassionally moving, I have come to realize how important a good shower is among other things. My idea of a good marina at this point is one that has floating docks, a nice restroom with a shower that actually sprays water from an appropriate height and with adequate water volume, places to walk the dogs, as well as grocery and liquor store within a 1-2 mile radius.

The best restroom facility including shower has got to be where we are right now. Hoffmans in Brielle, NJ. The downfall? no floating docks... and I swear before we leave here we're going to rip their docks apart due to this problem. (yes, I see non floating docks as a problem with a boat of our size ) Aside from the dock issue, this is a really nice marina. Grocery stores are a short bike ride away as well as a liquor store, there's a a great beach area also a short walk away where we can let the dogs off leash (only because it's off season) and the staff here are very nice.

The nicest marina we've seen so far? Liberty Landing Marina. It had great docks, a nice restroom and plenty of area to walk the dogs and shopping was a short ferry ride across the bay. Funny, cost wise, Liberty is about the same if not slightly less expensive than where we are now in a small town of NJ.

Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina had great shopping, and good places for the dogs but thats it.... the shower facility sucked! The restroom facility itsself is neat and clean, but I think the staff there should have to take a shower in their own facility. The height of the shower head is waaay to high... I'm 5'3" and the shower head had to be another two feet above me! Women don't need the shower head that high, plus you couldn't adjust the angle. It was fixed. The spray from the head was all over the place. I was lucky if I had three streams hitting me at one time. I was dancing all over the shower stall to try and rinse my long, thick hair.  Even the marina in Ossining had a better shower than the one in Atlantic Highlands, and theirs was an old mechanic garage bathroom turned into a bathroom/shower. Atlantic Highlands was also my first experience with non floating docks. Two weeks of this has made up my mind that this is a very poor design for the boaters with dogs. I'm sure the lower cost of non-floating docks makes marinas think these are a great idea. The town of Atlantic Highlands is wonderful, though. Everyone there is so friendly and welcoming, I felt like we belonged to the community even though we were only passing through.

The other marinas we've stayed had nice facilities but nothing to rave about but also nothing outstanding to complain about either. So far, Castleton Boat club was probably the best when it comes to hospitality and their restrooms were actually really nice for a small club. I think because members actually use them as well as transients, so they make sure the showers are good.

Well those are my thoughts as we sit here in Brielle waiting for a good wind and wave window to head to our next port of call. I hope the next place has a good shower casue now I'm spoiled with such an excellent facility here in Brielle, NJ

                                             (this pic is actually from Stamford, last spring)

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment