Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dog licenses? We don' need no steenkin' dog licenses!

Yesterday, for lack of anything else to do while Pamela was away, I decided to walk downtown to city hall to license our three dogs.   Olivia has never been licensed and Ruby and Chevy's Connecticut licenses have lapsed.  It was a two mile walk in 90 degree heat, but the humidity wasn't too bad and I enjoyed it.

I arrived at city hall and walked up to the customer service counter.

"I'm now living here in Brunswick on a boat.  I have three dogs that need licenses."

The nice elderly lady looked back at me sweetly.  "You need what, hon?"

"Dog licenses.  I have three dogs that need licenses."

She screwed her face up and looked at another clerk to her left.   They both looked at me with blank stares.

"You know, like license plates for a car, only it's licenses for my dogs."

Again, blank stares.  "Are your dogs chipped?  If they get lost, they can be identified by the chips."

"Yes, two of them have chips...   don't you license dogs in Georgia?"

"License dogs?  I never heard of such a thing."

"Well, in New York and Connecticut we have to license our dogs."

"Well, I never heard of licensing dogs.   Why would you do that?"

"I dunno.  To raise money for city hall, I guess."

"Well, that would be nice, but we don't license dogs here."

"Thank you kindly, ma'am.  In that case, I'll just stop by Pam-Pam's and get an ice cream cone and head back to the boat."

Which I did.   About half way between Pam-Pam's and the marina it started to pour rain.   I didn't care.  I was hot, the rain was cool, I had an ice cream cone, and I don't need to license the dogs.

 Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how that would work when you travel to NY and CON,,, would you have to prove you live in GA? We thought every state had licenses for the dogs at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... cuz isn't it the southern states like Georgia where the dogs breed with reckless abandon and their offspring are brought up north for adoption because no one down south wants them?

    Cool you didn't have to give $$$ to city hall, tho. :)

    ReplyDelete