Friday, March 22, 2013

It Doesn't Take Much To Amuse Me

Pam and I aren't much into junk food and snacks.  Oh sure, the occasional chips and dip and such, but that's about it.   Nellie came by the boat selling Krispy Kreme glazed donuts to raise money for her kids group at church so we bought a dozen.   Over the next few days, we ate them all but one which was stale.   I love stale glazed donuts, but Pam didn't know that as she tossed it over the side for the marina critters.

Once upon a time, there lived two seagulls, Elmer and Myrtle.  They did everything together, from flying and swimming to fishing and eating.  They were very much in love and lived a happy, harmonious life.  That is, until one day when a donut magically appeared.

It was quickly discovered by Elmer who snatched it up.  What was this?  This is good!  And Elmer made the mistake of trying to hide it from Myrtle.

While he spread his wings a bit to hide the donut, his wife saw the tell tale signs of a donut shaped wet spot.

"What do you have Elmer!"
"Nuffin'..."

Another seagull approached and Elmer needed to drop the donut to scare him off by flapping his wings.

"Get outta here!  I found it first!  It's mine!   All mine!" 

While Elmer was defending his donut, Myrtle broke it in half to share.

Anfrony the black bird came by and sweet talked Myrtle, who gave him half of hers.  Black birds are very smooth talkers.

Everyone took their piece of the donut and hid it away from each other while they finished it off.

And the moral of the story is...  is... I dunno.   Birds of a feather dunk together?   Naw.
Can any of you guys come up with a moral?

The End.

10 comments:

  1. I just received this from Rosemary via Facebook. I like her "moral of the story", so here it is...

    Dave, I can't write on your blog, so I have to mention here that your "story" today made me laugh out loud! You are so creative. I always look forward to seeing what you guys are up to.
    Krispy Kremes are way too sugary--Moral of Story: Krispy Kremes are for the birds!! Keep it up--you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I'm worried. When you get to Bleeker Mountain you're going to have so much to do that your creative juices will get all used up and there won't be anything left to entertain me! You may want to reconcider your choices.... Just sayin....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Mark. Me building a house? Building a barn? Raising chickens and goats? What could possibly go wrong? LOL! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm still in shock that the boat is even for sale. This is a guy who bought a power boat to play on while his sail boat was getting fixed, because he didn't think he could make it through the period while the sail boat was getting fixed without jonesing too badly on boat withdrawal.

    It just doesn't sit right with me.

    And that is all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tim!

      Well, we are getting wishy-washy about selling Drift Away. If it doesn't sell by the end of April, it's going on the hard while we head to New York to start building our little house. Then we'll head back to the boat after Christmas and head south, either to the keys or the west coast of Florida.

      If Drift Away sells, I don't think we'll be boatless too long, just long enough to focus on building our little place in the mountains. Then maybe buy a nice small trawler, something in the upper 30 foot range to cruise on New York's river and canals.

      Delete
    2. Understood. When I was working in WI, I bought the Glasspar on Memorial Day weekend, because I didn't think I could make it through the weekend without a boat to mess with. It only took me two years to refurbish it to a functioning boat, but by god, I had a boat to mess with...

      Delete
  4. I agree with MarkJ. Makes me nervous you won't have time for us. Very funny and great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anfrony?
    Man, you gotta do some standup. That one word makes the whole bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you do leave Drift Away-- The Blog will be missed by all I'm sure....
    The Bleaker Mountain Blog will be just as fun to read I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll leave depending on the weather up north. No sense driving in nasty stuff. We'll stop updating Drift Away's blog and will be updating Bleecker Mountain Life instead, as internet access allows. We're renting a small cabin near our place until ours is inhabitable.

      Delete