Friday, April 12, 2013

Alligators Don't Eat Turtles?

My Aunt Alice and Uncle Don are staying in the Golden Isles in their RV for the month of April before heading back north, like us.  We picked them up yesterday and got the chance to see Jekyll Island for the first time again, through their eyes.

Our first stop was Fins On The Beach for lunch.  No, sorry.  I didn't take a photo of my lunch, although the wild Georgia shrimp was most excellent.  I'll leave lunch photos for other blogs.

Second stop, the driftwood beach!


It wasn't busy at all.  Maybe the tourist season is winding down.


And then on to the historic "downtown".



The Jekyll Island Club Hotel.

Live Oaks never get old.

Uncle Don, Aunt Alice, Pam.  Everybody smile and pretend you're having fun!


One of the little shops.

Here he is, our first alligator.  Finally!   I only wish I had my telephoto lens.  Notice the turtle he didn't eat.  

Alligators live only in the US and China.  In the US, they range from Virginia all the way to Texas, but the main populations are found in southeastern Georgia, Florida, and Louisiana.   They much prefer fresh water, although they are periodically found in brackish and salt water.  

Like a teenage boy, they will eat almost anything, including turtles.  Alligators have been around for about 35 million years, so they've figured out their food choices.  Which is more than I can say for myself, as I studied Fin's menu trying to figure out what I wanted to eat.  Thankfully, turtle was not on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment