Sunday, September 9, 2012

Who is the Master of our Boat?

No blog yesterday.  Here's why.

Pam and I went to Brunswick's First Friday, a monthly downtown party held on the first Friday of each month.   It's sort of like the First Night celebrations held on New Year's Eve all around the country, but Brunswick does it 12 times a year.  All the businesses stay open and serve refreshments while musicians play in the many small downtown parks. 

We needed beers and burgers, but all the restaurants were jammed.   We walked towards the end of downtown and found a neat little place called the Corner Cafe.  They've been open for only a few months.  We'd never been there before but we were hungry and they had an open table so we went in.  They had First Friday specials including burgers for $8.99!  I don't know about where you live, but in Stamford you don't get a paper napkin for $8.99.   Perfect!   Well, no.  Sadly, they didn't have their liquor license yet, not for a couple of more weeks.   No beer.  Coke or tea.  I ordered a Coke.

We had taken the dogs to Jekyll Island in the afternoon and I guess I was a bit dehydrated because that Coke went down real fast.   Before I knew it, our waiter was there with another.   That one was gone halfway through dinner, and in the blink of an eye I had yet another.   That one made it to the bill.  When the waiter brought my debit card back, he had a fourth Coke in a to-go cup.  What an awesome place!  I wonder if they'll do those quick and free refills when they have their liquor license?

Back at the boat and it was time for bed, but all that caffeine and sugar had me wide awake.  I struggled to get drowsy.  I read boring political stuff on Al Gore's internets.   I had several shots of Scotch.   Finally, around 12:30, I dragged myself downstairs to bed.  Chevy was in my spot in bed.   Olivia's was in Chevy's bed on the settee.  Pamela was snoring softly.  Back upstairs I went to the sofa with Ruby to watch TV.   Eventually, she moved to the floor and I had the sofa to myself.

It was a rough night on the sofa and I didn't sleep too well.   I know some of you are thinking "Dave, why didn't you boot Chevy off the bed?  Who is the master in your hou... uh... boat?"

I don't know, but when I find him, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind.

In boat project news, it appears that our new ice maker has developed a leak.   I know this because the parquet floor next to the ice maker squishes out water when you step on it. 
 

1 comment:

  1. I suspected you might have a leak when you re-used portions of the the old compression fitting from the old ice maker. you reused the brass sleeves...which you never do, and you especially don't use the brass sleeves with plastic pipe. They have plastic sleeves. Also, there are brass inserts that are to used when using plastic pipe. They prevent the plastic hose from crushing when you tighten down the compression nut. It's fine to reuse the actually union and nuts, but never reuse the sleeves. They have already been compressed once and that's all they are meant to do. Go to doitbest.com and lookup SKU# 431964. That will show you what you need.

    ReplyDelete