Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Shark!

We have a wide variety of fish and fowl here in Savannah.  As I wash dishes and gaze out the galley window upon the Skidaway River, I see herons, pelicans, seagulls, storks, dolphins, and more.  Yesterday, I was sitting at the dining table working on the laptop when I noticed a couple of kids on the boat across the fairway fishing.  They pulled in a fish and dropped it on the cockpit sole.   They were all excited and hopped up onto the boat's railing to get away from it.   Cripe, I thought, if you're afraid of fish, why go fishing?  One of them even put on a pair of gloves to pick it up.  It was only when I downloaded the photos off my camera and zoomed in that I saw why.


They had caught a small shark.

I had read a book about the history of Isle of Hope and a photograph in it showed a bunch of kids swimming in the Skidaway River, surrounded by a wooden fence.   I had assumed it was to keep the kids inside, but the caption said it was to keep the sharks out.  

I had Drift Away's bottom cleaned by a diver yesterday in preparation for our move south.  I asked the dirver if there were sharks in the river and he replied in the affirmative.  I was skeptical, but no more.  I guess if dolphins can swim here, why not sharks?

Just one more reason to stay out of the water.

Note to Dick and Deb- Pam lost her cell phone, and so your number.  I haven't lost mine yet.  Would you give us a call at that number?   Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statsus.htm

    I don't think you have too much to worry about HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bull Sharks like rivers and many a tasty youngster has been it meal and presumed drowned. There was a PBS special on it. As Kate says HAHAHAHAHS! Bye Bye Olivia........

    ReplyDelete